This is a standard install of ubuntu 6.10 server, in a 63MB package!
This VM can be usefull for quickly deploying a base operating system from a small package, and with a minimal configuration time (about 2 minutes).
Some steps were taken to reduce the archive size down to a minimum:
- Some temporary data has been removed from /var (namely apt cache, installer logs, etc).
- The filesystem has been created as ext2 and the ext3 journal is created at first boot.
- The partition was also cloned to a new .vmdk as a part of the shrink process.
- The archive is in 7-Zip format (GPL – search you package manager or grab it from http://www.7-zip.org).
The VMware tools were also installed.
(sudo user, not root)
On first login, a small configure script will automaticly:
- Recreate the ext3 journal in root filesystem and update fstab
- Read the new mac address for network interface eth0 and update iftab.
- Run the ~/setup.sh script (available at any time):
This setup script will enable you to (re)configure: keyboard, timezone, password for the ‘notroot’ user, hostname *, network interface(s) * and DNS *
* using the file editor, samples provided.
If you find this appliance useful in any way, consider linking to this site.
14 Dec 2006:
* Fixed: keyboard configuration not applying.
* Updates: minor README.txt changes.
12 Dec 2006:
* Added: VMware tools.
* Added: update iftab with new mac eth0 address.
* Updated: minor README.txt changes.